I have wanted a sewing machine for a long time now. While I have not done a lot of sewing in my life, it’s something I would like to learn. I would love to be able to create things out of a nothing more than my imagination and some really cool fabric. (Possibly a pattern, too). So, living in an apartment and not being able to paint the walls, I decided that curtains would really add some color to otherwise “boring” rooms. Exhibit A:
Such a big, ugly window with absolutely nothing going for it. Okay, so maybe that is a little harsh, but it’s definitely boring. What better way to spruce it up than with a fun, colorful pattern:
I actually had a really frustrating experience purchasing my fabric. Having never done this type of thing, I wasn’t sure how to figure how many yards of fabric I needed. So I measured my window and made a very detailed diagram to take to the store with me. I spent about half an hour picking out the perfect fabric, and then took it up to the counter to get it cut. I whip out my drawing and tell the girl that I’m not sure how many yards I will need. So after a few minutes and some calculations, she tells me that I need nine yards. NINE YARDS! That seemed like so much fabric, but I trusted her. So she started measuring and it didn’t take long to realize that there definitely not nine yards of fabric in the bolt that I chose. She told me that the closest place that had that same pattern was Maple Grove. Which is about 45 minutes away. There was no way I was driving all the way to Maple Grove, so I said I would keep looking. As I looked, I tried to do some calculations in my head. I came up with 4 yards of fabric as the amount that I needed. I’m not exactly sure how I figured it, but it seemed to make sense based on the height and width of the window and the simplicity of the curtains I was trying to construct. I eventually found another fabric and was able to get just enough to complete my project. So, after buying a few more essentials I was on my way to my first sewing project. I started with cutting (with my new fancy ruler and cutter).
Then I moved onto pinning. There is so much pinning to do when you are hemming 8 sides of fabric! It took such a long time.
After pinning, I moved onto ironing. There was quite the crease through the fabric from being folded on the bolt for so long.
And after ironing, I was finally ready to start sewing! Like I said earlier, I have wanted a sewing machine for a while now but wasn’t sure what kind I should buy or how much I should spend. Fortunately, my Grammy (who is an amazing seamstress) had a sewing machine that she was not putting to use for the time being so she generously let me borrow it for now. It’s a really nice machine too.
Isn’t she pretty. So, I started off my sewing adventure by having to wind a new bobbin and rethread the machine. I have done this once before when I was just practicing on the machine, so I wasn’t too worried about it. Unfortunately, things don’t always go as planned. I go the bobbin wound just fine, but when I threaded the machine something was wrong and the display kept telling me that the thread was broken or out. I couldn’t figure out what the problem was. After 45 minutes of frustration, and one bloody finger later (I sewed myself) I finally got it to work.
After several long hours of cutting, pinning, ironing and sewing my curtains were finished! I could not be happier with how they turned out. I definitely think they add the element that was missing from our dining room.
Rocky really seems to like them too.
Stay tuned for my next curtain projects. I still have the office and our bedroom to tackle.